Poll

How do you assess the performance of our website?
excellent
good
satisfactory
bad
View result

Results

excellent
20 (63%)
good
9 (28%)
satisfactory
1 (3%)
bad
2 (6%)
Polls archive

The Estate of M.A. Sholokhov

Garage

In 2003, in the estate garage of M.A. Sholokhov, an exposition was laid out displaying the automobiles, which the writer used in different years.

The first exhibits of the display were “Volga” GAZ-21 and two cross-country vehicles of GAZ-69 and UAZ-469.

The black “Volga” was acquired in 1964 and was used for long business trips, meeting, seeing off the writer’s numerous guests.

Being a great lover of hunting and fishing, M.A. Sholokhov had had a car of a greater practicability, GAZ-69, earlier, but in 1969 it got worn-out and was replaced by quite a similar one called “bobik” by people. Now it is on display.

More comfortable for hunting and fishing was the car UAZ-469 bought in 1973, and in 1975 it was reconstructed on the suggestion of the workers of the Uliyanovsk automobile plant. The tarpaulin body was changed for a metal one, the windscreen became extensible, the seats were replaced. This UAZ became a favourite car of the writer.

Later the garage was replenished with “Pobeda” M-20 produced in 1956, which was presented to the Museum. Earlier the car had belonged to the Army general, twice the Hero of the USSR, Issa Aleksandrovich Pliyev, Commander-in-Chief of the North Caucasian Mililary District. Pliyev and Sholokhov were acquainted and met many times.

The garage exposition also displays a boat motor of “Merkuriy” company and a trailer of the Uliyanovsk automobile plant, used for carriaging a boat and tent to the destination of fishing.

Under the awning, as well as in the life-time of M.A. Sholokhov, there are kept fishing rods made of natural material, which the writer preferred for fishing.