How do you assess the performance of our website?
View result


27 (66%)
9 (22%)
2 (5%)
3 (7%)
Polls archive

The Estate of M.A. Sholokhov

The central structure of the Museum-Reserve is the memorial complex “The Estate of M.A. Sholokhov in the centre of Stanitsa Vyoshenskaya. It is a light two-storied house with a terrace and a balcony facing south and outbuildings. A garden path leads to the bank of the Don.

The mansion was built in 1949 instead of the old pre-war house with an attic storey ruined on, July, 8, 1942, during the bombardment of the stanitsa. A burst of a bomb killed the writer’s mother, Anastasiya Danilovna.

The house-museum is unique with the authenticity of each thing laid out, of the interior preserved, of everything which belonged to the Sholokhovs, which the writer touched.

On the ground floor there is a hall, a study and reception-room, a dining-room, where all the family gathered.

The study on the first floor is a big light room with a balcony door and windows looking south. Next to it is a “hunting” room, where all the family prepared for hunting or fishing expeditions.

On the first floor there is also a small study of the writer, where he used to work over his manuscripts. Just here the writer created his second book of the novel “Virgin Soil Upturned”, the story “The Fate of a Man”, worked over the chapters of the novel “They Fought for Their Country”.

In the estate the orchard was restored, the garage, outbuilding with a cellar and icehouse, the wing with a Russian stove are kept unchanged. In 2003 an exposition was set up in the garage displaying the automobiles which served for M.A. Sholokhov in different times.

In the garden of the Memorial Estate there are tombs of the great writer and his wife. There are always fresh flowers on the tombs of Mikhail Aleksandrovich and Mariya Petrovna.

The name of Sholokhov is always alive, it hasn’t sunk into oblivion. And here, in his Estate, it is perceived more clearly than in any other place.