Poll

How do you assess the performance of our website?
excellent
good
satisfactory
bad
View result

Results

excellent
20 (63%)
good
9 (28%)
satisfactory
1 (3%)
bad
2 (6%)
Polls archive

Karghin Memorial and Historic Complex

The Mill Complex

In Stanitsa Karghinskaya there has been preserved a building of the steam mill which belonged to Cossack T.A. Karghin. This very mill was depicted in one of the episodes of the novel “And Quiet Flows the Don”.

Early in the XX century Karghin’s estate on the Chir bank was well-known not only in the neighbourhood, but also in the adjacent provinces. There was a two-storeyed mill with a millet hulling mill, oil press, locksmith’s shop, smithery, spacious inn for the visitors to stay overnight. For a high quality of the flour, millet, oil the owner was encouraged with several diplomas.

To attract the deliverers T.A. Karghin built in 1911 “a cinematograph” “Ideal”, attached to the mill, the second cinema in the Don Army Region (the first one bearing the same name was in Rostov).

Little Misha Sholokhov often visited the mill, the cinema, mixed with the future personages of the novel “And Quiet Flows the Don”. In the 1920-s the young people of Karghin put up amateur performances, plays written by young Sholokhov on the cinema stage. Often the author himself performed his personages, and the audience encouraged Sholokhov, an actor, with a stormy applause.

Now the Museum carries on restoration of Karghin’s estate: the buildings of the mill complex are under reconstruction, a functioning bakery is planned to be set up. The cinema house “Ideal” will be used for theatrical performances and concerts, the inn – as a hotel, in the old buildings the expositions will be housed. When the reconstruction is over, the Day Off Tours will be set up for the tourists.