Poll

Which topic do you think is under represented on our site? Leave your comments and suggestions in the section “Comments and Suggestions”
Museum Collection
Exhibitions
Museum Events
Museum – to Children
Don Cossacks
Natural Monuments
Information for Tourists
View result

Results

Museum Collection
1 (11%)
Exhibitions
1 (11%)
Museum Events
1 (11%)
Museum – to Children
1 (11%)
Don Cossacks
2 (22%)
Natural Monuments
1 (11%)
Information for Tourists
2 (22%)
Polls archive

News

A Branch of the State M.A. Sholokhov Museum is Going to be Founded in Rostov

22.10.2009

The State M.A. Sholokhov Museum-Reserve has completed framing the scientific and project documentation for restoring “The House of Martyn Brothers”, a structure of the historic and cultural heritage of federal significance. Now the works to fortify the foundation are going on. After the building restored there will be opened a branch of the Museum-Reserve.

“The House of Martyn Brothers” is situated in the historic centre of Rostov-on-Don on the territory of the former fortress of St. Dmitriy Rostovskiy. The mansion was constructed after the design of the architector N.M. Sokolov in 1893 and belonged to I.R. Martyn and later – to his family members. In the 1910-s the owners of the buildings (besides the house there was a wing and a door-keeper’s house, an entrance gate with a high arch, a fence and the buildings of the foundry and mechanic factory) were brothers Vasiliy and Gheorghiy Martyn.

The artistic design of the building architectural appearance delights the residents and guests of Rostov so far. A white stone décor of the front facades with a multi-sloped high garret roof including a corner octahedral marquee, a rare model of pseudo-Gothic preserved in Rostov-on-Don. The inter-storey staircase made of metal ornament-cast elements renders a clear idea of the peculiarities of artistic casting late in the XIX century. On the second storey there were preserved heating furnaces covered with smooth tiles. Forged open-worked elements decorate the peak above the front door and the balcony barrier.

In 1995 by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No 176 of February, 20, “The House of Martyn Brothers” was put in the list of objects of historic and cultural heritage of federal significance. In 2007 the mansion was conveyed to the balance of the State M.A. Sholokhov Museum-Reserve. An exhibition centre is planned to be housed here, where expositions telling about the history, traditions and culture of the south regions of Russia will work.

N. Shchebunyayeva